Roof Maintenance Programs in the Sacramento and Reno Areas
The name Kodiak Roofing & Waterproofing Co. has become synonymous with service. We understand the urgency created by a leaking roof. A roof leak causes harm in the form of damaged interior finishes, ruined computer equipment, flooring and furniture, and, if the leak is chronic, possible dry-rot and mold. Because our number one goal is peace of mind for our clients, we respond to leak calls quickly, thoroughly diagnosing and fixing the problem. We even have a 24 hour “Emergency Response” service available so a manageable leak doesn’t become a full blown crisis.
Since our client’s peace of mind is our number one goal, we believe strongly in roof maintenance as the best way to prevent leaks from happening in the first place. Most people do not think about roof maintenance until their roof is leaking. But that would be like purchasing a new car and not taking it in for an oil change and service until it stops running. Your roof is, most likely, a much larger investment than your car, and should be protected by a regular maintenance program.
Many roof systems today come with a manufacturer’s warranty–most commonly ten to twenty years in length. While a manufacturer’s warranty will cover various degrees of roof failure resulting from poor materials or workmanship, very often, leaks are caused by problems that are not covered under warranties. A good example of this is caulking or sealant at joints in sheet metal counter-flashings or copings that have dried-out and cracked, allowing water intrusion. Another common example of roof problem not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty is a clogged roof drain. A clogged drain not only causes leaks, but can also dangerously overload the roof structure as backed up water accumulates on the roof.
The National Roofing Contractors Association is one of the construction industry’s oldest and most respected trade associations. Here’s what they have to say about roof maintenance:
“…the best way for a building owner to ensure satisfactory post-installation roof system performance is to have a formal, long-term maintenance agreement with a professional roofing contractor. Maintenance programs typically offer the following advantages:
- A maintenance program is proactive (rather than reactive). It can help to identify problems at their early stages, while they can be corrected and before they become catastrophes.
- Regular maintenance can reveal and address sources and causes of leaks before they occur. Too many owners have their roof systems examined only after a leak occurs.
- A maintenance program allows for a planned, organized approach to management of a roof asset and allows for responsible, timely preparation of long-term capital expenditures.
- Response time to address leakage problems is greatly improved. Warranty repairs, on the other hand, can take time to be processed, while the problem remains unresolved.”
The Kodiak Roof Maintenance program is one of the best in the industry. The following is a summary of items that are included when your roof is under our care:
- Complete assessment of roof
- Inspect and clean drains of debris, re-secure drain fasteners if necessary. If drains are blocked below the roof line, the client will be advised.
- Inspect all flashings at all penetrations and curbs, including pipes, skylights.
- Inspect seams in the roof field and expansion joints
- Re-secure loose sheet metal roof flashings and reseal cracked or missing caulk joints
- Advise the client of any repairs exceeding the scope of this agreement
- Copy of Field Report or Formal Assessment with photographs to client
The hallmark of our maintenance program is a detailed roof assessment with color photographs showing all of the potential problem areas above and beyond normal maintenance items covered under the plan, how they should be fixed according to the best standards in the industry, and an itemized, competitive, cost estimate for each proposed repair. We’ll recommend repairs within a “priority timeline” so you can plan ahead for roof maintenance. Now that’s peace of mind!